Tuesday, July 23, 2013

All wet.

I know this is going to be hard to believe but I have a deep thought I want to share.  I was recently fascinated with the thought of how water brings life and how much emphasis God puts on water.  Believe me when I say no big revelations here, I am easily fascinated, amused and entertained.  If I had a tail I would most like chase it most of the day.

These thoughts about water came this summer, as you know if you are one of us living in Oklahoma, when it becomes more of a valuable life giving commodity than other times of the year.  It’s not uncommon for us to go long stretches with days exceeding the 100 degree mark.

Some of the victims of the summer heat are always my three resilient hydrangea bushes.  Side note that may get my man card revoked is they are my second favorite flower next to the zinnia.   My hydrangeas are located next to where I park at home. They are the last thing I see when I leave for work and first thing I see when I return home.  And in the heat of the summer they droop with exhaustion in the evenings.  There have been days when I have wondered if they weren’t toast, literally.  

Now here’s the part that fascinates me!  I can drag all 75 ft of hose across the yard to their remote location and within minutes watch them spring back to life with a drink of water and touch of evening shade! See, I told you I’m easily amused.  But to see a plant go from what looks like near death to life in minutes, come on, that’s pretty cool, right??





Watching this process off and on during the summer made me imagine the power of water.  Think about us humans and how we react to water especially this time of year. We sit around massive concrete holes full of water for hours on end. My beautiful bride can attest to our three kids getting up EVERY morning during the summer and their first question is, “When can we go to the pool?”

Our family just got back from Florida where we saw thousands upon thousands of people flocking to the beach. Not just to see the beautiful white sand dunes, shells, sea turtle nesting grounds and get an insanely overpriced snow cone. They were flocking to the water.  Without the water the others cease to exist, with the exception of the snow cones.  Christy calls the beach her “happy place” and for good reason, water brings life! 

God made it this way.  Think about all the things around us that hinge on the presence of water. 

Recently this scripture blew me away with what it revealed to me. 
Genesis 1:1-2 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Did you catch that?  In the beginning there was water and God’s Spirit was hovering over it before he decided to form the rest of the world.  I completely missed that for 37 years!!  What was that like? Wow!

That’s the beginning now let’s go all the way to the end.

Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

That verse comes fourth from the end of the entire Bible.

Water was first mentioned in the second verse of the bible and last mentioned four verses from the end.  In between, it’s used some 450 times in the NIV translation.


Just think about it for a while.  How are we expected to publicly confess of our faith in Jesus? Baptism in the water.  Jesus walked on it and offered his (figuratively speaking) to the woman at the well as the way to eternal life. How unique is our God and the fascination he also has for water?