Wednesday, June 5, 2013

This is not perfect and I'm okay with that.

Hi I’m Tyson and I have a problem.  I have a fear of failure.  That’s why those first two sentences have sat on a blank page for over a week now with nothing in the body of this blog post.  I couldn’t figure how to tell “this story” and tie in “that scripture” and make this flowing into that and blah, blah, blah…  I couldn't come up with the perfect post.

This fear has crippled me in many areas of my life including the things closest to me including my relationship with God, my marriage (over and over again), kids and ministry.

So I’m about to post a very rough, unpolished blog post for the entire world to see, or at least to the small following of readers I have.  When I’m done typing this I am not going to check it for grammatical errors, I’m not going to check for flow.  When I’m done typing I’m going to hit the button that says “Publish”.  And I won’t go back in and edit this post once I read it live from the blog!! Done that before too. 

I’m going to heed the words of my beautiful wife from last night, “Babe, your writing doesn’t have to be perfect!  You just need to write.”

I’m going to break free of this! Two things are helping me through it.  One is this card that my counselor gave me a couple years ago and he asked me to commit to memory.




The other are the words of Brene Brown, author of Daring Greatly whom I had the privilege to hear speak at a conference I recently attended.  Her advise (speaking about critics), “If you aren’t in the arena getting your “butt” kicked with me then I’m not interested in your opinion.  It’s not in the service of my work!”
Those words and the title of her book were derived from this quote from Theodore Roosevelt.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Teddy Roosevelt

I DO NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT!