Wednesday, December 29, 2010

13 Years!!!!!!!

Today is a great day of reflection. 13 years ago about this time of the day I was eating Chinese food with my high school coach who was about to serve as my best man in a few hours. I had gotten to spend the night with one of my great friends, D.B., from college and reflect on some good times. D.B. actually set Christy and me up. I was home from college for the weekend and the phone conversation went something like this…

DB: Ty, you need to come back tonight.

Me: Why?

DB: Just because.

Me: Not a good enough reason, see you Sunday night.

DB: Just do it! It will be worth it, just trust me.

Me: Will you just tell me why already!?

DB: Just take a chance on Chancellor (Christy's maiden name).

Me: What is that supposed to mean?

DB: I was talking to her this last night for a long time and she wants to go out with you.

Me: Me??

DB: Yep. All you have to do is ask.

Me: No way man!

DB: Dude, if you don’t get your “rear” back over here I’m gonna Junior High Johnny your “rear” and ask her for you!!

Yep, that’s how it started. Could it have been any more high school?? And as you know now, I came back.

Then as the time of wedding grew closer, 13 years ago, I did some puking, because of nerves. It’s just something I do. Got that from my old Maysville HS track days. Our relay team just wasn’t ready to run until we had thrown-up our lunch then downed an entire bottle of Pepto together. That gets you ready for game time!

We would actually used intense peer pressure on each other if you hadn’t thrown up yet.

“Come on man, you know if you don’t do this you won’t have a good race. Get it out!!! There you go, now don’t you feel better? Now drink the rest of this bottle of Pepto that we have all drank out of so you can be part of the team. No, those are not Cheetoh floaties in the bottom of the bottle, JUST DRINK IT!!”

My wedding day was not any different. Nerves till I puked, full bottle of Pepto down, I’M READY! SEND HER DOWN THE AISLE!

Anyone who know Christy and I knows we have absolutely nothing in common interest wise. The cliché "opposites attract" could not be any truer. That’s what attracted me to her. Though our interests are very different what we do have in common is we love each other and like the different things about each other. So in 2002 I bought Christy a book called What I Love Most About You. It’s a book with page after page of I love that you [blank]…phrases and if that’s true you put a check mark next to it. I completed the book and then started my own list at the end that the book did not include. Since then I have slowly filled the book with Things I Love About Her from time to time. Today on my 13th wedding anniversary I thought I would share just a few in honor of my still rockin’ awesome wife.

I love your smile. One of the first things I noticed about you…then it was the faded back jeans and ECU Pom jacket. In that order I promise!

I love sharing popcorn with you at the movies. Even if we eat it all before the movie starts.

I love your sense of style. One of the first things that attracted me to you.

I love that you express outrage when someone is treated unfairly.

I love your sense of clothes. Evident by looking at the volume in your closet.

I love how you push me to do things I wouldn’t normally do. I need inspired and encouraged from time to time.

I love your sense of decorum. No way could I make our house look like that!

I love how you put people at ease. That’s why our phone rings at all hours day or night.

I love how you can never decide what shoes to wear. And how could you with so many choices.

I love how you sing along with the radio even when you don’t know the words. Or is it the artist doesn’t know their own words??

I love how you can always pick the perfect gift for a friend.

I love the value you put on family time.

I love your unshakable trust in God. You introduce me to “Just turn it over to Him.”

I also love (remember this list started in 2002)…
Never pass up a chance at Jo’s Pizza, love to talk about friends back at ECU, wetting a hook only if there is a shade tree close, driving around admiring people’s houses, watching you cook new things then laugh when they don’t come out just right, the expression on your face when You’ve Got Mail comes on TV even though you own the movie, how you always want to get rid of the dog but take it back when I offer to do so, sometimes your idea of a goodtime is just stopping by Sonic, you’ll lay awake at night wondering if you hurt someone’s feelings, wanting to get me new clothes when I don’t need them (at least I think I don’t - good shirts should last 8 or 9 years), watching Trading Spaces then thinking we could have done so much better, ticked off because Sonic dropped happy hour, riding around in the Scout and having it break down every time you’re in it, going to Chili's just for chips salsa and water, appreciation of a good pair of socks, how you nibble on baby Winston’s hands when he is sleeping, the love that showed in the tears in your eye’s before Winston went off to surgery, your intense attention to detail at holiday decorating and table settings, that you helped me understand God’s grace, you threw me a 30th surprise birthday party and knew exactly who to invite, the “I need you” look when you are sick, the fun you have with friends and never care who is watching, you willingness to forgive me when I mess up over and over and over, letting Wyatt fall asleep in Daddy’s “spot” when I’m up late working, that you didn’t think I was completely crazy when I felt God calling us to start a church in our home, how we’ve grown closer when the world seems against us, THAT YOU ARE STILL WITH ME AFTER 13 YEARS!

This was by no means the complete list I’ve compiled in this book, just a sample of few I wanted to share with you readers…there are hundreds of other reasons I love my wife and some of my favorites I don’t care to share with you…if you know what I mean ;)

One thing about love though is this. True love with your spouse is when you ask them, “Honey, why do you love me? Is it because of my looks? Is because of the money I don’t have? Is it because I treat you good? Is it because I’m nice? Is because I am colorblind and have no sense of style so you can dress me however you want? Is it because I’m an amazing kisser?”

True love is when they answer “No” to all those question and their answer is “I love you because I love you.”

Happy Anniversary babe!

1997 (Oh my gosh we were young!)

2010 (Dang! She still looks good!)