Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy Birthday!!

Wow! What an awesome day we had last Sunday. To get to have my son Winston’s 9th birthday and our church, Fellowship of Believers (The FOB), celebrating our 1st birthday at the same time was extra special!!

Never doubted Winston would make it to 9, except for a brief moment after the ice storm when he sledded about 150 yards down the hill across the road jumped the curb and into a neighbors shrubs, other than that I never doubted…it was sweet though!! But I have to admit I wondered if The FOB would make it to 1. On several occasions over the last year I’ve said, “God, you picked the wrong guy for this job!” or “God are you sure this is what you want us to be doing?”

Along the way I have kept in my mind Acts 5:38-39 “…If what they are planning is something of their own doing, it will fail. But if God is behind it, you cannot stop it anyway, unless you want to fight against God.”

And after a year, you know what? WE HAVE NOT FAILED!! As a matter a fact we have strived, NOT because of attendance numbers but because lives have changed in the church and the lives we touch outside our church have changed as well.

The people at the FOB are not in the minority because they are meeting in a home. They are in the minority because they are committed! Lots of people attend church but far less are committed to the mission and actually live it out.

For a while I saw the house church as an attractant to the dechurched, then I slowly conformed to a view of seeing the house as weight holding us back. Like a log chain around the neck of an over energized bird dog. (Some of you will get that, many won’t. Ask me later and I will explain.) I felt like, “now that we’ve reached this point, if we could just get out of this house we could do_____” or “we could be reaching ______ if we were in a building” or “we could attract____ if we weren’t still in this house”. I started to lose sight of the impact the group was having on lives and I’m ashamed.

Then it hit me one night when I heard a guy describing to someone who our church was. The reason it hit me was because he didn’t describe us by our building address or even our name, NO, he described us by the work this small committed group of followers has been performing and it blew me away.

And at that moment again I said, “God are you sure you picked the right guy?? Seriously God, it took me this long to figure out, when you want us in a building you will put us in one! Look what we are known for CHRISTIANS BEING CHRISTIANS, THE CHURCH BEING THE CHURCH, NOT THE SIGN IN THE YARD!” That is AWESOME!

Right now, we, not just at the FOB but the entire Church body “we”, needs to renew our focus on the Greatest Command…

Matthew 22:36-39 Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

it completely changes lives and see that as way to open the door to The Great Commission…

Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

I’m so blessed to say I get to pastor Fellowship of Believer, I love my church and I hope all you readers love yours!! But most of all I love the Church, and that guy Jesus who loves it more than I do, died for it and still thinks it is important today!

When people go to church something supernatural happens and lives get changed.

When the church acts like the Church something supernatural happens and lives get changed.

Because people meet Jesus!!!