Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Greater things!

Hey all, been a couple weeks away. Here’s the update for those waiting on the update from the trout fishing expedition. Never did figure out what a Wooly Bugger was, probably a good thing, but after a little spying on the locals…salmon eggs was the secret sauce. Christy and I “slaid em”one evening (slaid em’ is fishing term where I come from meaning, we caught some good fish)! Had an awesome time! I’ll try to post a picture of our catch maybe this week.

While preparing my message for last week this verse blew my mind.

In John 14:12 Jesus says, I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

I’m thinking that because it was tucked away between “I’m the way, truth and the life” and Jesus’ promise about the Holy Spirit that I totally missed it’s significants.

Jesus actually said we’d do greater things than what He did while on this earth. Can you a believe that?

So now you’re saying, “Yeah right!” “Jesus fed 5,000 people in one sitting with 5 loaves of bread and couple fish” (John 6:1-14) “How we can’t top that?!”

Oh, but we have. You’re hung up on the means by which He fed (5 loaves 2 fish) instead of the end result (5,000 got fed).

To do greater things would mean we’ll feed more than 5,000 people and followers of Christ across the world do this every day. I’d be willing to venture and say, right here in little ol’ Ada alone we’ve fed over 5,000 through our churches, outreach programs, holiday meals and local mission activities.

So now you say, “Okay I can buy that, BUT Jesus raised people from the dead!” (the Bible records 3 instances) “How do we go greater than that?”

Again, pull yourself away from the means (their heart physically was stopped and He started it again) and focus on the end result (they were brought back to life by Him).

To do greater things would mean we’ll have to give people life. Stop thinking about the physical and start thinking about the spiritual.

What are people of the world who don’t know Jesus referred as, “lost and dying.”

What happens to these people when we introduce them to Jesus and they change their life to follow him? They are “saved” they are “born again”! They are brought out of death into life. John 11:26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die.

Yes, Jesus is ALWAYS the one who does the saving but we are means by which they meet Him. Huh, we play a part in bringing people back from the dead. And considering the millions of Christ followers that walk the earth now, just in our present day and age, I’d say we’ve been doing greater things.

We must have faith that we can and will do greater things! We have to believe that we are the ones here on earth left with a mission to see the examples Jesus set for us and do greater!