Friday, May 21, 2010

Deep Thoughts by An Ordinary Man #1

So I’ve been thinking about starting this weekly post, perhaps every Friday, called “Deep Thoughts by an Ordinary Man” you know like “Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy”, one my favorite Saturday Night Live bits right up there with Toonces The Driving Cat.

I don’t know if I can keep this up every week but I know I can for this week.

You know we like to call ourselves Christians, but in reality that name was given to us by others who saw the way we lived and knew we were different.

Acts 11:26 says, “The disciples were first called Christians at Antioch” a place they stayed for a year teaching people about Christ.

The disciples didn’t give themselves this name. The people they stayed with for a year saw a love for God and a love people that was remarkable. A passion they had never seen before. They saw these men following the lead that this guy Christ set while he was on earth. So they said, we must give them a name, because there is no name until now to describe people who are living a life like these guys. We will call them Christians.

Here is your deep thought.

Would your life make OTHERS around you see that you’re different and call you Christian, and I don’t mean different as in I’m judging you because I’m perfect and you have problems. No I mean different as in mimicking Jesus, tracing his footsteps, knowing you have faults and don’t condemn others for theirs, you love God, you love people and it shows kind of different!

If you’re not living different where SOMEONE ELSE would call you Christian then what are you?