Monday, March 22, 2010

Stick and stone...and words WILL hurt me...

I subscribe to the KLOVE Encouraging Word of the Day through their website http://www.klove.com/. (KLOVE is nationally broadcast Christian radio station - local frequency here in Ada is 91.9 FM) Basically it is a scripture per day sent to you via email using the New Living Translation of the Bible.

We were away part of last week because we spent some time at sisters and brother in-laws house in McKinney, TX for spring break so I had some catch up reading to do.

When I read the two separate emails below back to back it really struck me just how powerfully hurtful (if I can use those two word together and still be grammatically correct) the complacent human word can be.

Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
~ Ephesians 4:29, NLT

Fire goes out without wood, and quarrels disappear when gossip stops.
~ Proverbs 26:20, NLT

Complacent human word meaning things we're so used to saying (i.e. certain word and phrases) and engaging in certain conversations (i.e. gossip) that they become second nature to us. Like a habit we don't realize we have but it's obvious to everyone else around us.

These two verses are pretty clear about the harm our words can do, anywhere from discourage those who are listening to us, to fueling the fire of fighting with each other that gossip causes!

This week think a little longer about the things you say out of habit and inventory those that may do more harm than good. Then pray a simple and specific prayer ..."God help me to see these things I've been saying before I speak. I don't want to harm with my words."