Monday, November 2, 2009

Meg meet Mel

What do you think of when you think of love? A mushy Meg Ryan movie that always ends up the same? If you’re watching movies in the Brown house then that is a HUGE WHOPPING "YES." PLEEEAAASE it’s always the same…boy meets girl, boy can’t have girl, boy gets girl then messes it up, girl realizes boy only lied to get to know her better, girl takes boy back, girl and boy live happily ever after and buy a puppy. I’m sooooo needing a good dose of Braveheart, now that’s a love story!!

Anyway…I want you think outside the Americanized Hollywood idea of love. Think about a deeper love, a love that’s still lingers when the butterflies in your stomach have faded. A love that even steps outside of companionship. Love that also includes friends, enemies, family, acquaintances and even a love for total strangers.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8 (Msg)
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
Love never dies.


1 Corinthians 13 isn’t just the “wedding verse” you know! Use it as a tool for inspiration and guidance.

Need an understanding of who Jesus was and what his love was all about, or maybe how devoted and in love your Heavenly Father is with you, or maybe who you are or how you should treat your friends AND enemies, or maybe your searching for a deeper love towards your spouse. This portion of scripture says SO MUCH. Check this out. All I’ve done is replaced the word love with some things that may resonate something in you. Add the name you need to add to make it apply to you and you may just end up with a new outlook on life.


Your Godly father never gives up on you,
I will care for her more than I do myself,
I won’t want what I don’t have,
I shouldn’t strut, or have a swelled head,
Jesus didn’t force himself on others,
I won’t fly off the handle with him,
I will keep no score of her sins,
I will never revels when others grovel,
Our heavenly Father gets pleasure in the flowering of truth,
I will put up with anything she does,
I will trust God always,
I will always looks for the best in him,
Jesus never looked back, and kept going to the end,
My love for her will never die