Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Run-of-the-mill sinner

WOW! I read this yesterday morning and it really spoke to me especially since we now have a group of believers worshipping out of our home on Sundays and Wednesdays. This awesome fellowship has committed their Wednesday evening to serving someone somewhere. So these words from Jesus really struck a nerve in me considering some of the service opportunities we have before us.

45-48 "This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that. "In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." ( Matthew 5:45-48)(The Message)

OUCH!! “Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that”, that hurts something deep in my gut, something deep in my heart. It hurts because I’m like that, a run-of-the mill sinner. It makes me feel good ONLY to associate with those I share interests with; I’m comfortable in that setting. The thought of fulfilling what Jesus wants in this passage makes me very uncomfortable and you know what, THAT’S JUST HOW GOD WANTS IT!! We should feel uncomfortable to the point it bothers us! To the point that we are so bothered and uncomfortable by a helpless persons situation that that we have compassion that instills in us a passion to make things better for that person.

I heard an awesome sermon a couple weeks ago where the pastor described how we “Christians” like to insulate ourselves from the outside world by only associating with other “Christians” because it makes us feel good. Well, I hate be the one to break the news to you but God didn’t put us here to “feel good.”

Sometimes helping the helpless means we have to step into their world! We have to drive down their street! We may even have to stop! We may even have to go into their home! We most certainly will have to hug their kids! We have to “Grow up…live out our God-created identity. Live generously and graciously towards others, the way God lives towards us.” There is no “so long as you’re comfortable” clause in Jesus’s instruction.

I’ve posted it once and I’ll posted it again we should be broken by seeing people who are broken. And once you submit yourself, God will bring a passion in you for healing and the only way to heal is to help the helpless.

Don’t miss a very important part of this passage, “…Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." How is God living towards you? I don’t know, think of even the small things you’ve done to rebel against God just this week but He still loves you without a second thought and you are still fully engulfed in His grace without question. Humble yourself, understand HOW HUGE His compassion is and PASS IT ON!