Friday, August 21, 2009

Sea Biscuit

I watched Sea Biscuit last night and I teared up...again. Yes, I watch Hoosiers and I tear up. Yes, I watch The Patriot and I tear up. I watch Braveheart and I get fired up!

Why? Because every time I watch those movies THEY WIN! I love it when the underdog wins! I LOVE IT BECAUSE WE ARE THE UNDERDOG or at least the world thinks we are. The world says we can’t or shouldn’t or we’re crazy but the Lord says we can! The world says why give your money to something you can’t see, why help someone that can’t ever give you anything in return, why waste a perfectly good morning to sleep in?

Why? Why? Why? For the same reason I cry when I watch The Passion. The same reason I tear up when I hear the song How Deep The Father’s Love. Because my Guy won! And the words He heard, the beating He took, the pain that was inflicted as He hung on a cross for half a day was for you and me! He has rode the horse, played the game and fought the battle for us! He’s already won! He defeated our last enemy and that was death! He has already kicked the crap out of the devil! Getcha some of that baby!

In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I've conquered the world. (John 16:33, The Message)

Here’s how Paul gets in the face of death!

Oh, Death, who's afraid of you now?
It was sin that made death so frightening and law-code guilt that gave sin its leverage, its destructive power. But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three—sin, guilt, death—are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God!
(1 Corinthians 15:55, The Message)

Don’t you know it would be fun to take Paul to a college football game! Or how about Paul as college football coach? I'm telling right now he is piling on! He is leaving the first string in in the fourth quarter when it's 77 - 0. Okay, got to calm down, I'm getting a little carried away.

Don’t ever forget that you may be an underdog to the world but you are in the starting line for God’s team! And I’ll say it again, OUR TEAM ALWAYS WINS!! Now get out there and recruit somebody!

[Insert your favorite fight song here]